- 1 About
- 2 Open Access Policy
- 3 Wikigender Features
- 4 Wikigender: the community
- 5 Partners
- 6 See also
- 7 External Links
Wikigender is a project of the OECD Development Centre that improves the facilities for exchange and information about gender related issues. With the help of various partners, among them the OECD Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base, Wikigender provides evidence about gender equality and statistics to measure the impact on women's empowerment.
Open Access Policy
Wikigender is open to everyone. The site encourages active participation, contributing information or creating new articles. Information is shared by the community, allowing for a discussion on the gender equality issues around the globe. The Wiki platform enables a collective intelligence of experts, governments and citizens that develops and helps us to increase our knowledge in this area. A personal User account can be created Create an account
Wikigender has over 1000 articles covering various issues. A special focus is given to counrty pages that include key information about gender equality including topics as social institutions, family code, civil liberties, ownership rights, as well as current reports and research papers, for example Women, Business and the Law 2010 report.
Other articles present gender equality organizations and initiatives and information about Child marriage, Violence against women, Female genital cutting, Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base or Female Nobel Prize Laureates
Wikigender: the community
Community Portal Wikigender
The Community Portal of Wikigender incorporates gender equality issues in the media on a monthly basis. Community Portal Wikigender
Who is the community for?
- Anyone interested in gender equality issues (civil society), especially people coming from developing countries
- Development practitioners who specialise in gender equality or who want to add a gender dimension to their work (gender mainstreaming)
- Gender equality researchers and statisticians
- Policymakers: linking policy to the field level
What is its goal?
- To exchange best practices, stories, data, news coming from the ground in order to help advance gender equality and women’s empowerment. Wikigender will use this information uploaded by the users to create a yearly report on progress in gender equality.
What is the goal of the website?
- To foster the sharing of resources such as best practices, events, reports.
- To enable more informed policy-making on gender issues, for example by identifying gender equality gaps and obstacles
- To facilitate the exchange of gender-disaggregated data and statistics (via www.wikiprogress.stat uploader, coming soon)
- To be an interactive platform for key gender equality-related events, follow-up of conferences, publications, media, etc.
What is the approach/etiquette that ensures quality?
- Content guidelines
- Wikigender team and partners ensure quality control when new articles are uploaded
What is in it for me if I participate?
- Resource exchange
- Promotion of my work to a large gender community
- Access to best practices and stories through case-studies (coming soon)
- Access to information and contact information on organisations working in the field of gender equality
What is the measure of success?
- Interaction with the users: number of edits, new discussions, comments, etc.
- Use of the Wikigender platform for work purposes / regular basis, as a tool
- People uploading spontaneously successful examples of gender equality achievements in different cultural contexts
- New articles, new events
- Satisfaction of the users (surveys)
- Online users
- Number of followers on Twitter and Facebook
- Feedback on email@example.com and through the social networking sites
- IFC (The World Bank Group)
- French High Authority for the Fight against Discrimination and for Equality
- German Federal Statistical Office)
- Inter Press Service (IPS) Gender
- The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
- Africa for Women's Rights Campaign
- Mujeres del Mundo (MUJERDOC)
- 2nd International Documentary Festival on Gender
- Indian Centre for Economic and Social Studies
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- América Latina Genera