This page is currently being developed.
Mike Salvaris is Adjunct Professor, Applied Human Rights and Community Wellbeing Research, in the School of Global Studies, Social Science and Planning at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia.
He is a member of: the interim national committee of the Australian National Development Index; the Expert Reference Group for the Australian Bureau of Statistics’ project ‘Measures of Australia’s Progress’; and the Steering Committee for Community Indicators Victoria. He has been a long term participant and adviser in the OECD Global Project ‘Measuring the Progress of Societies’.
Formerly a community lawyer and political adviser, Mike has worked extensively over 30 years in the measurement of progress and wellbeing; democracy, social justice and human rights; community engagement and development; and strategic public policy. His work has included research, writing, broadcasting, teaching, policy and strategic development and community organisation with bodies including: the UN, the government of Vietnam, the Canadian Index of Wellbeing, the Australian Parliament, the Australian Prime Minister’s Department , Australian State and local governments, Australian Trade Unions and Councils of Social Service.
Papers, Reports and Publications
- The idea of progress in history, 2010, Australian Bureau of Statistics, ‘Future Directions in Measuring Australia’s Progress’, 2010 Appendix A, Mike Salvaris, Adjunct Professor, Applied Human Rights And Community Wellbeing, RMIT University, Melbourne.
- Changing Society's DNA Codes- Democracy and the Global Movement for Community Progress Measures, 2009 Australian Journal of Social Issues, Adjunct Professor Mike Salvaris, School of Global Studies, Social Science and Planning, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University and Associate Professor Geoff Woolcock, Urban Research Program, Griffith University
- Social Benchmarks and Indicators for Victoria, December 2000, Consultants’ Report for the Department of Premier and Cabinet, Victoria, Consultant team- Mike Salvaris, Terry Burke, John Pidgeon, Sue Kelman, Institute for Social Research, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne
- ‘The Role of Cultural Facilities in Community Strengthening’. Professor Mike Salvaris, Victoria University, Australia
- Benchmarks for Australian Citizenship, 1994 Senate Discussion Paper, Mike Salvaris, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Urban and Social Research, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne
- Progress and Democracy, 2003, Mike Salvaris, Victoria University, Australia. Transcript ABC Radio National, 24 November 2003
Prog Blog Posts
Mike has not yet blogged on the Prog Blog
Link to Mike Salvaris user profile