Global Peace Index 2011 - media review
A review of new items on the launch of the 2011 Global Peace Index
- Iceland Ranked No. 1 On Global Peace Index (NPR 26.05.2011)
The world became slightly less peaceful over the last year. That's according to the new Global Peace Index, which attempts to rank 153 countries.
- Global Index Charts Year Of Continued Setbacks To World Peace (RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty 26.05.2011)
The world became slightly less peaceful in the past year, punctuated by violent uprisings in North Africa and the Middle East, but also marked by successes in countries like Slovenia and Georgia.
- NZ still peaceful, but Iceland better (TVNZ 26.05.2011)
New Zealand has been ousted by Iceland as the most peaceful nation in the world.
- Oman is among most peaceful countries (Times of Oman 26.05.2011)
The Global Peace Index (GPI) report published yesterday by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) puts the Sultanate of Oman on fourth position in the Arab region and 41st among the 153 world countries.
- Taiwan jumps to 27th in Global Peace Index ranking (Focus Taiwan News Channel 26.05.2011)
Taiwan is ranked 27th in the 2011 Global Peace Index (GPI) released Wednesday, up eight notches from last year.
- New Zealand ranked second most peaceful nation (New Zealand Herald 26.05.2011)
New Zealand is the second most peaceful place to live on the planet, according to a new global survey. Photo / Thinkstock New Zealand has been named the second most peaceful nation in the world.
- Oman leads in Global Peace Index (Oman Daily Observer 25.05.2011)
The Sultanate stood fourth on the Arab level in Global Peace Indicator 2011, which was published by the Sydney-based the Institute for Economics and Peace on its website yesterday.
- World peace, mapped (Newsday 25.05.2011)
The Global Peace Index is out today. Its modest goal: rank the nations of the world by their peacefulness. Iceland came in first, knocking off New Zealand.
- Economic unrest making world less peaceful - survey (Reuters Africa 25.05.2011)
Social unrest is making the world less peaceful for the third year running and economic strains could point to rising risks in China, a think tank said on Wednesday.
- Canada among most peaceful nations in the world: report (National Post 25.05.2011)
By Jordan Press Canada is once again among the Top 10 most peaceful countries in the world, according to a global survey.
- Canada among 10 most peaceful countries (Toronto Star 25.05.2011)
Canada ranks for the first time among the world's Top 10 most peaceful nations in a new global security assessment released Wednesday.
- Global peace index 2011, mapped (The Guardian 25.05.2011)
Global Peace Index for 2011 shows dramatic falls and rises in world peace. See how the data's changed over time The Global Peace Index, is out today and sees dramatic falls in middle east countries after the Arab spring...
- Iceland tops Global Peace Index for 2011, Somalia comes in last (USA Today 25.05.2011)
Iceland tops the Global Peace Index for 2011, ousting New Zealand. Somalia falls to the bottom, replacing Iraq, which held the last slot for two years.
- Global Peace Dividend Could Reach $8 Trillion a Year, Study Says (Bloomberg 25.05.2011)
Reducing prison populations, improving relations with neighboring countries and enhancing the rule of law for local businesses could save countries around the world as much as $8 trillion a year.
- Canada jumps six spots and cracks top 10 in 2011 Global Peace Index (The Canadian Press 25.05.2011)
Canada has cracked the top 10 in a global security assessment that ranks countries based on how peaceful they are.
- India a dangerous place to live in (Economic Times 24.05.2011)
For all those who believe that India is becoming an increasingly dangerous place to live in, here are the numbers that back that belief.
- Global Peace Index rankings a chicken-and-egg argument (The Sudbury Star 25.05.2011)
The Global Peace Index -- which ranks Canada as the world's eighth most peaceful country -- assumes that a country that is peaceful within in its own borders is less likely to go to war with somewhere else.
- Brazil's Global Peace Ranking is Bad 74th. But the US's Is Much Worse 82nd (Brazzil Magazine 25.05.2011)
Brazil appears in 74th place in a list ranking peace and social justice in 153 countries, The Global Peace Index released this Wednesday, May 25, by the Institute for Economics and Peace IEP.
- Nepal plunges in GPI rankings of peaceful nations (Himalayan Times 26.05.2011)
In 2010‚ Nepal was most peaceful nation in South Asia after Bhutan but 2011 findings‚ which involve 153 countries‚ placed the country in third place in the region.
- Taiwan moves up 8 notches on global peace index (Taiwan Today 26.05.2011)
Taiwan has moved up eight spots to No. 27 in the latest annual Global Peace Index, released May 25 in Washington by the Institute for Economics and Peace.
- Taiwan jumps to 27th in Global Peace Index ranking (Radio Taiwan International 26.05.2011)
Taiwan was ranked 27th in the 2011 Global Peace Index (GPI) released on Wednesday. That's up eight notches from last year.
- Japan ranks third on global peace index, US behind China (The Tokyo Times 25.05.2011)
Japan is the third most peaceful country in the world, according to the Global Peace Index, a survey compiled by the Institute for Economics and Peace. According to the index, only top-ranking Iceland and New Zealand are more peaceful places to live. ...