Flag of Bolivia
|Population (In Millions)||10.09|
|Human Development Index||108/169|
|Gross Domestic Product (In USD Billions - World Bank)||23.95|
|Global Peace Index||76/153|
|Happy Planet Index||47/143|
|Social Institutions and Gender Index||20/86|
|Environmental Performance Index||137/163|
|Child Mortality Rate||39.3|
|More information on variables|
Main Progress Initiatives
The Law of the Rights of Mother Earth 2011
In December 2010, the Plurinational Assembly of Bolivia voted the Law of the Rights of Mother Earth (Law 071) which acknowledged Nature's rights to exist, persist and maintain itself . The law edicts 7 rights on Nature:
- To life: right to the maintenance of the integrity of life systems and natural cycles which sustain them.
- To the diversity of Life: preservation of the differentiation and variety of the beings that comprise Nature.
- To water: preservation of the quality of water which sustains Nature's ecosystems.
- To clean air: preservation of the quality of the air which sustains Nature's ecosystems.
- To equilibrium: the right to the maintenance or restoration of the components of Nature.
- To restoration: right to the effective restoration of Nature's ecosystems endangered by human activities.
- To live free of contamination: the rights of Nature with regards to toxic and radioactive waste generated by human activities.
Multidimensional Poverty Index
The Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) for Bolivia is 0.089. The MPI is an international measure of acute poverty covering 109 countries. The MPI reflects the multiple deprivations that poor people face at the same time in three dimensions: health, education and living standards. The MPI reflects both the incidence or headcount ratio (H) of poverty – the proportion of the population that is multidimensionally poor – and the average intensity (A) of their poverty – the average proportion of indicators in which poor people are deprived. More information on the MPI in Bolivia is available here, Multidimensional Poverty Index Bolivia
Happiness in Bolivia
This is an overview of findings on Happiness in Bolivia.The available findings are presented in the latest ‘Nation Report’ on Bolivia. This report is ordered by type of happiness questions and within these types by year. This ordering is to facilitate the assessment of progress, comparison over time being most fruitful using the same questions.
The report presents means and standard deviations, both on the original scale range and transformed to a common range 0-10. This tool informs on the level of happiness in the country and the standard deviations about inequality of happiness.
Links provide more detail about the precise text of the question, the full distribution of responses and technical details of the survey. The report is updated on an ongoing basis.
- ↑ The Guardian, Bolivia enshrines natural world's rights with equal status for Mother Earth, 10.05.2011
- ↑ The Law of the Rights of Mother Earth 2011
- ↑ World Database of Happiness
- Case Study: Promotion of ownership, results and accountability in the education sector in Bolivia, OECD DAC Network on Gender Equality (GENDERNET) (2011}.
Progress Papers and Publications
- Agua para todos/Water for All, Prepared by Julia Steets and Elisabeth Heid